Hand and Wrist Surgery
The movement and power in hands and wrists are controlled by muscles and tendons.
Hand and wrist surgery refers to the treatment of bones and soft tissue injuries with
the use of the latest equipments and tools.
Who should consider hand & wrist surgery ?
It is not necessary that people who have arthritis-related problems with their hands
and wrists, need surgery. But those who need it, surgery is a great help in relieving
pain and in the improvement of the functioning of the hand.
Whether a surgery is needed or not, following become the considerations:
- The severity of problem
- The preferences of the patient
- Response of the patient to other treatments
Most Common Hand and Wrist Injuries
Following are some of hand and wrist conditions which need surgery:
- Bone and Joint Problems of the Wrist and Hand- Fractures and dislocations,
Arthritis, Joint contractures andAmputations
- Muscle, Tendon and Ligament- Tendon lacerations (ruptures), Ligament and
cartilage injuries and Tendon inflammation
- Nerve- Nerve laceration or palsy and Nerve compression (carpal tunnel
- Skin and Soft Tissue Issues Ganglion cysts in wrists and hands, Foreign body
evaluation and removal, Nailbed and fingertip injuries, Infections, burns, or
contractures and Skin grafts
- Vascular- Microvascular repair and Surgical treatment of Raynaud’s and other
- Congenital- Duplicate thumb and Syndactyly
Advantages of Hand and Wrist Surgery
The main advantages of hand and wrist surgeries are:
- Reduced pain
- Improves in hand functioning
- Hand- appearance can get improved
Hand Joint Replacement Surgery
Hand surgery is an orthopedic process dealing with problems dealing with the fingers,
hands and wrists. This procedure helps in improving the range of motion, for repairing
muscles, tendons or damage in hones due to injury or disease. It also helps in
restoration of the appearance of hands and fingers, due to any reason.
Who should consider Hand Surgery ?
Hand injuries in automobile accidents or other forms of trauma can get treated
- Restoration of hand function
- Advantageous for people with medical conditions such as carpal tunnel
syndrome, arthritis or osteoporosis
- Restoration of range of motion
- Patients suffering from birth defects or severe infections can get treated
What Are the Different Kinds of Orthopedic Hand Surgery?
Common types of hand surgeries are :
- Tendon or nerve repair
- Skin grafts
- Closed Reduction and Fixation
- Joint replacement
Tendon or nerve repairs are for patients with conditions due to trauma, infections and
sports injuries. It is performed within 24 hours of injury for best results. These are very
complex procedures and need to be done carefully.
Skin grafts are needed in the case of replacement or reattachment of skin of the hands
or fingers, mainly used in the case of amputations of fingers. Here healthy skin is used
from another area of the body to cover the problem area.
Closed Reduction and Fixation is necessary in the case of fractures occurred in the
fingers or the bones of the hands. The process helps in proper re-alignment,
reconstruction and repair of the bones with the help of rods, wires, splints and casts.
Joint Replacement, that is arthroplasty, is a surgical procedure for patients suffering
from severe arthritis problems and needs replacement of joints of the fingers or wrist
that are made of plastic, metal or silicone rubber.
There are various conditions seen in the wrist joint:
- Scapholunate Ligament Rupture - Writs have many ligaments (soft tissues) to
connect bones to each other. If due to any trauma, it gets ruptured, this surgery is
- Skiers (Ulnar Collateral Ligament) Thumb - This injury common in footballers and
skiers, deals with the treatment of Ulnar collateral ligament of thumb. It happens when
the thumb is bent backwards from the fingers
- Scaphoid Fractures - This is the most important wrist bone and most commonly
injured too. This surgery is performed in the case of a fracture.
- T.F.C.C. Tears- Triangular Fibrocartilage (T.F.C.) is a strong ligament type in the wrist
important for a number of purposes. When torn, causes pain in clicking or catching.
- Wrist Arthroscopy- Performed under local anesthesia, it is useful in a number of
conditions like removal scar tissues, assessment of joint surface etc.
Lumps and Bumps
- Ganglion-It is a form of a lump/ cyst (non-cancerous), that occurs mainly in 4 sites. It
might be painful and for its correction, a surgery is required.
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
This is a painful condition in wrist, hands and arms that is caused due to depression of
the median nerve, caused due to a number of reasons.